Monday, October 29, 2012

Cactus Rose 50 Milers

Back again.. been a long while. I have been trying to get my running passion back. Somehow.. I seem to lose it along the way. It does not help that I have to abandon the White Rock Marathon in December because I have to go back to Singapore.

However, my fiance's 50 Miler this past weekend re-inspired me. I think I want to do a 50 miler sometime next year.

This is his first 50 milers... and we were both excited about it. I was a nervous wreck. I knew that he wanted this badly.

The day started at 3am when we woke up to make the long drive up to Bandera. The boy made me worried when he refused any breakfast. I bought some Lara Bars and Banana and he had it on the way there and it made me feel better.

We arrived at Bandera at 4.30am.  Gosh.. it was cold. Near 40F is no fun... I was freezing. This was an unsupported race so we had to place the drop bags and supplies at the aid stations. There were 4 aid stations and we placed 2 drop bags in 2 of them.

The plan was to see him start at 5am, drive back to San Antonio for my run and head out again with a burger. Yes... the boy asked for a burger which was surprising. I was to wait for him at the Lodge aid station with the burger between 11am to 12pm.

Everything went as plan. I saw the boy off at the start and headed back to San Antonio for my run. Came back from my run, shower and head out to McDonald to get burger... but darn I waited for 10 minutes and they do not serve burger till 11am. Next option: Sonic.

I looked at the time and knew that I may not be able to make it at 11am. I just had to fly my way there. Arrived at the park at 11am sharp and the ranger stopped me and told me " Mam, I need you to do 2 things. One, go to the office and get your vehicle registered. Two, you have to drive slower. 20mile per hour is strictly enforced here..".. yeah... this was how fast I was flying.

I arrived at the Lodge station  at 11.05am. I looked around and everyone I know tell me " scott came through and ask for you and his burger..." Darn... I miss the boy by 10 minutes. He came through at 10.55am.

I felt so bad. I went to the aid station with burger and coke to wait for him. So happy that he came in one hour later ( at Mile 30) I was so happy to see him. He took some coke and could hardly swallow any burger ( lol... I wa not expecting him to eat any.. knowing that he has this thing of not able to eat on the course)

Doing a Gangham at Mile 30....



At mile 35 .. still looking good

 He left the aid station and went to the next one to wait for him. So the day was spent going from aid station to aid station to wait for him. He was looking great at mile 35. I knew that we had this.

Mile 45.5... getting very tired


At mile 40,  I could see that he was losing energy. But I was not worry... he could still make it even if he had to walk the next 10 miles .At mile 45.5... he was exhausted. He sat at the aid station for a while. I gave him some ginger ale and grapes.. and chased him out of the aid station. Just need to get him out before he got too comfortable


Finish Line !!!!!!!



The last 4.5 miles was probably the slowest and the toughest. I knew he had a big hill ( lucky) to cross and expected him to take at least 2 hours. But he beat my expectation and came in earlier than that.

Gosh .. I was so happy. 12 hours and 25 minutes... way ahead of our expected. Both of us were expecting 13-14 hrs finished. So proud and so happy ! First 50 Milers done !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment