Monday, May 6, 2013

Pandora Box of Rox

Cool Medal, Yeah !
I have been looking forward to going back to Reveille Ranch since Captain Karl last year. I I did not get a chance to enjoy the view from the dome last year as it was a night race and really wanted to go back again.

The hubby and I decided to drive up the same day vs staying a hotel which we always do for the Teja Trail races. It seemed just too frivolous to spend on a hotel for a marathon. But bad decision as we had to wake up at 4am. Both the hubby and I were blurry and zombies despite having coffee. I could hardly open my eyes in the car. The first thought that came to my mind was that it gonna be a bad run.. considering how sleepy we were.

Arrived at Ranch about 40 minutes before start and gosh it was BBBBBBBBBrrrrrrrrrr at 37 degree. I was freezing and shivering cold. We collected our race packs and went on the routine of mixing our drinks and bottles. I told the hubby that I did not want to carry water for the race since it was cold and the aid stations were about 3-4 miles apart. He said that he had same thoughts. So we decided to put our bottles with our drop bags just in case we need it for the second loop.  ( good decision on hind side).

7 am and the race started. The first 1.5 miles was pretty flat with just some bumps. I was surprised that my body woke up for the race. The legs felts good and achilles did not hurt at all. It usually does for the first 3 miles. The lungs felt good.  I looked at my watch and saw that I was at 11.15 min pace. I knew I had to slow down as this was going to be a long race and I needed the energy for the next loop. The hubby and I stayed for about 1 mile and then he was gone.  We decided to run our own race for this. I tried to stay close to him but got worried when my pace dropped. So I decided to stick to my own race plan and slow my pace. The goal was to finish within 6 hours.

The course started to change after the second mile. The legendary granite rocks started to appear as we started our ascend to the dome. Contrary to the peeps who complained about the rocks, I actually love them. They make the course less boring and more challenging and definitely provide a change in scenery. We were probably in the dome for 3 miles before we got out of it.

I was surprised when I landed at the next aid station at about mile 5. The 5 miles seemed to go past so fast in the dome. More surprise to see David Jacobson manning the station. We got to know David during last year Captain Karl series and had pretty much ran many races with him since (or rather behind him since he is much faster than us).  I did not stay long at the aid station. The cooler weather helped and I am not missing my water bottles.

The next part of the course was a mixed of rocks and trails and more down hill compare to the first part. It was a nice change of pace and course. I started to get worried when I did not see any sight of the hubby. I began to wonder whether I was going too slow. I checked my watch and saw that I was on pace and decided to keep to my pace.

Fatigue started to set in at mile 8. I knew I need another boost of Ucan ( my race energy drink) soon and was keeping my finger cross that I would be able to last another 5 miles. I have a bottle of Ucan at the start/finish line waiting for me.  The aid station at mile 8.5 was a welcome sight. I drowned down 2 cups of heeds and went on my mission of chasing the hubby.

The trail from this aid station to finish was pretty much runnable with little bumps. I continued to keep my pace and tried to power walk the bumps to save energy. Having the mission of chasing the hubby seemed to make the time and distance goes by fast. Before I know, I was at the last aid station on the course. I knew I was 1.5 miles from the start/finish. I saw a few runners going out for the second loop and was expecting to see the Hubby. But still no sight.

Arrived at the start/finish at 2hrs and 45 mins. I saw the hubby standing there and I knew that he had drop to half. He handed me my water bottle and Ucan. I debated whether to take the water bottles for a minute and decided to carry them as the weather was getting hot.

The second loop seemed to go as fast as the second loop. Before I knew, I was at the dome. I was pretty much running alone with no souls around me. I did the dome on the first loop with other runners around me. I started to get worried when I went round and round the dome. I almost thought that I was lost as I was getting longer to get out of it compare to the first loop. There was a few spots where I could not see the reflectives and had to stop for a while to look for them. Took me a while but I manage to get out of it. *phew*

Arrived at the second aid station and David shouted "you are down to single digit. Just 8.5 miles to go"... and he kept repeating it. Yeah... I heard you David.. but 8.5 miles on the trails is forever:)

For some reason, mile 20 kept sticking into my head. I decided to open my gu at mile 20. So I kept looking at my watch for mile 20 to come. So it was mile 16, then mile 17 and mile 18 and I was a happy person when I saw mile 19. I knew mile 20 would be next. And yeah me... at Mile 20, I opened my gu and I was happy again.  Yeah.. do not ask me why mile 20 is a magic number to drink my gu... it is just me... I have a plan for everything on the trails... call this OCD :)

I began to see other runners at mile 20. I passed a few and a few passed me. Finally, back to civilization. I must be on high and happy that I had only 5 miles to go only that I kept telling everyone I met on the course "Almost there. We are almost there.. just a few more miles".  LOL.... yeah.. I said that to everyone I met.

A runner in white came from behind me and pretty much play tac toe for next 3 miles. He picked up speed at the last 2 miles and left me. I was still passing some souls and telling them that we were almost done.

The last aid station finally appeared and I knew I was 1.5 miles out. Joyce was there and asked me what I need. I waved a no and yelled that I am not stopping. I just wanted to finish the last 1.5 miles.

It was slightly bumpy 1.5 miles but nothing bad. I saw another runner walking at 1 miles out from finish. I passed him and yelled to him that we are almost done and no walking. He heard me and started running. So both of us started running and we hit a big bump. I just had to stop and walk a bit. He came passed me and yelled back to me that we are almost done and no walking.  I started to run and both of us ran towards the finish... well he ahead of me slightly.

It was a welcome sight to see the finish line. Time : 5 hrs and 40 mins... way ahead of my goal time and 8th female. Yes. I am happy.... one of my better training run for last 3 weeks.


4 comments:

  1. Awesome job. I think this one is on my list for next year. Sorry I missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! I hope to do this one next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your report Cristobel!

    ReplyDelete