Monday, August 6, 2012

Stretch or Not Stretch

Stretch or not stretch... that is the question. 

I used to stretch after every run... at least 15 minutes or more.  This habit was cultivated from my yoga days. My yoga instructor has classes for athletes that focus on deep static stretches and she was a strong proponent for stretching. I learned that stretches are good.

I was told many times by many people that I am injury prone because I am too flexible. The ART (Advance release technique) practitioner who treated some of my injuries always tell me to stretch less because I am way too flexible.

I did not take these remarks/advices seriously till I read an article from Doc Soc a week ago. It was an interesting article that advocated that static stretches (those stretches which I do) weaken the muscles. Muscle tightness could be due to imbalance which arises from stress in the nervous system. Stretching one muscle could actually impair another muscle.

" Muscle tightness is due to an imbalance. The imbalance lies within the neuromuscular system – so it is a reflection of the nervous system via the muscular system. The idea that many physicians, therapists, coaches, and athletes have that you need to stretch a tight muscle to relax it and exercise a neurologically weak muscle to strengthen it is incorrect. It sounds nice, but your body doesn’t work that way." - soc doc 

I am a slave to static stretches... stretch and hold for 2 mins have been my after run routine for the longest time.   If it is t.. I hold my sight, I stretches longer and more frequently.  I am injured all the time despite these stretches.

The BF on the other hand do not stretch at all.  I would be on the floor stretching while he would be couching and he was never injured.

The BF and I discussed the article. It seems logical. The muscles are like rubber band... the more you stretch the more loosen them becomes.. and they will never goes back to the original taut state.

The article seems like a wake up call for me. The BF told me that I should stop all my static stretches. Do dynamic stretches if I need some activities to feel better.

It has been a week since I stopped my static stretch routine and I do not feel any worse from no stretching.  The BF and I felt sore and tight after our long run on Saturday. We decided to go for a swim to " loosen up". It works. I had my best run the next day.. legs felt so light !

I am going to try this from a month... no static stretches. Dynamic stretch if I need ! Will see how it goes:)

1 comment: